[tz] Proposal to use Asia/Tel_Aviv for Israel - Jerusalem is not internationally recognized as part of Israel

Ian Abbott abbotti at mev.co.uk
Wed May 8 09:46:35 UTC 2013

On 2013-05-08 01:42, Paul Koning wrote:

> On May 7, 2013, at 5:00 PM, <random832 at fastmail.us>
>   wrote:
>
>> On Tue, May 7, 2013, at 16:37, Aaron Brown wrote:
>>> I don't think it's relevant what the rest of the world thinks. If
>>> everyone in Jerusalem agrees on one reality, and everyone outside
>>> Jerusalem agrees on a different reality, then it would be logical to
>>> go with the reality that is agreed upon by those in Jerusalem. It
>>> matters what time people in Jerusalem think it is, what time their
>>> clocks show,
>>
>> Nobody is talking about changing the time definition for Asia/Jerusalem.
>>
>> This argument is whether a line with "IL" in the first column and
>> "Asia/Jerusalem" in the third column ought to appear in zone.tab.
>> Nothing more, nothing less.
>
> Ok then, should Asia/Taipei be listed with country code CN? Or not
> atall? It seems to me the exact same reasoning that is being used here
> applies to both cases.

I don't know why Asia/Taipei isn't listed under country code TW.

> In fact, such a proposal is not being made. This tells me that the
> motivation for the current proposal is in fact not what its proponents
> are pretending it is.

I think it's more about reducing confusion, although there are arguments
for and against maintaining the status quo.  On the one hand, residents
of Israel need a city to represent their timezone, and to them,
Jerusalem seems the obvious choice.  On the other hand, a sizeable
minority of the citizens of Jerusalem (especially a sizeable minority(?)
of the residents of East Jerusalem) probably don't acknowledge
themselves as Israeli citizens and might rather follow Palestinian
timezone rules, or perhaps switch between Israeli and Palestinian
timezone rules on a daily basis, depending on transportation timetables,
work requirements, religious congregational requirements, local TV
schedules, opening times of local businesses, etc.

I admit I have no very little knowledge of the actual situation on the
ground in the affected regions and only threw country code XJ into the
pot as a suggestion for further discussion.

> 	paul, speaking only for himself and for no other person or organization.

Ditto.

--
-=( Ian Abbott @ MEV Ltd.    E-mail: <abbotti at mev.co.uk>        )=-
-=( Tel: +44 (0)161 477 1898   FAX: +44 (0)161 718 3587         )=-