[tz] Dropping iso3166.tab

Tim Thornton tt at smartcomsoftware.com
Thu May 23 08:02:08 UTC 2013

My thoughts are as follows, for what it's worth:
- Time zones apply to an area, not just the (near) point of a city, so at some stage. This may be done in software, e.g. the country code of the tz database mapping to a GIS boundary, or by the user associating London with UK. Whilst defining the geography of the boundary is outside of the tasks of the tz list, I think it is necessary to be able to have some sort of association from point to area
- There has been some talk about geolocation or getting data from a server. I don't think we can assume this is available, and tz data should stand alone without this
- There will always be debate about decisions made. Assuming we keep an area reference, really the question is should the tz group be making those decisions or not. If we should, we ought to be prepared to put up with the flak from those who differ, and also any problems where our decisions differ from those made by others. If we should not (which I think is the case) then we should use the most standardises source, e.g. ISO3166. If an exception is needed, this should purely be on the basis that ISO3166 cannot deal with the tz issues, and the reasoning for not following ISO3166 should be documented in the data file
- I think part of the intensity of the debates on various decisions has been that the rules are not well documented and transparent, but are held in a combination of files, newsgroup archives, and people's joint knowledge. If the rules are documented more rigorously and in one location, then any debate can be focussed first on does the data follow the rules and, if there is still an issue, should we change the rules for all locations instead of on a case by case basis. This will hopefully be more objective and less emotive than just "city a should be in country x and not y because it follows the beliefs of myself and some others" which is what it generally boils down to.

Tim

Smartcom Software Ltd
Portsmouth Technopole
Kingston Crescent
Portsmouth PO2 8FA
United Kingdom

www.smartcomsoftware.com

Smartcom Software is a limited company registered in England and Wales, registered number 05641521.