[tz] Time zone for Kosovo?

random832 at fastmail.us random832 at fastmail.us
Mon May 20 18:26:10 UTC 2013

Kosovo does not have an ISO 3166 code assigned. The historic tzdata
practice has been to use ISO 3166 "to help decide whether something is a
country", so that would suggest we should wait until after it is made.
(If only ISO had a definition for boundaries, then we could have avoid
the last big political debate).

If the decision is made to proceed immediately, Wikipedia says that "XK"
is the temporary code used for it by the European Commission. CLDR has
also included some preliminary support for Kosovo with the code "XK".

However, the last time the use of an "X" code was proposed on this list
(XJ for the disputed portion of Jerusalem, or rather to simply be able
to include Jerusalem in zone.tab without making any judgement on what
territory it is in), it was suggested that we should avoid using
user-defined codes because some program could hypothetically consume the
zone.tab file while ignoring the included iso3166.tab file in favor of
its own list of country codes. I don't believe this objection was
substantiated, though.

--
Random832