[tz] Rules for TZ+ database

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Thu Sep 5 12:55:46 UTC 2013

Lester Caine wrote:

> the change that pulls support for specifically 32 bit systems

That change was not about adding or removing support for 32-bit
systems, which were (and still are) the most commonly-used tz
platform.  That change was about improving support for 64-bit
systems.

> so up until that time data HAS been gathered for the whole of time
> not just post 1970....

Two things here.  First, once we establish the need for a
new zone, we attempt to gather high-quality pre-1970 data
for it.  This doesn't override the guideline that we don't
bother to create new zones merely because their timestamps
differ before 1970.

Second, although the Theory file attempts to document the
practices, it often lags because we don't get around to
writing everything down.  For example my recent proposed patch
"Document some longstanding unwritten guidelines."
<http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/tz/2013-September/019856.html>
says that names cannot end in '/', a guideline that's been
faithfully followed since the project began (because the
POSIX implementation prohibits names ending in '/') even
though nobody got around to writing it down until this
month.

> finally there is a formal definition of the SCOPE of the database

The guideline about not bothering to create national zones
that differ only before 1970 has been in practical use
throughout the maintenance of the tz database.  In one case
(America/Montreal) we departed from it, but that was only
because we incorrectly thought that Montreal differed from
Toronto in the early 1970s.  That timestamp error has been
corrected in the data; the extra zone survives only because
we didn't want to discard existing data.

We would like to allow zones to be added even if they exceed
the current guideline.  These zones are currently out of
scope, and most users won't want them (as they'll be
presented with unnecessary choices when selecting TZs, which
makes their jobs harder), but a few will want them and if
the data are high quality I don't see any reason to exclude
from the database.  It's just that we need a mechanism for
winnowing out these extra zones, as I expect we don't want
them installed by default on POSIX platforms.  Zefram has
proposed one mechanism, we're currently evaluating it, and I
hope and expect that it or something like it will appear in
the tz database soon.  Once that happens, we'll have the
mechanism we need, and a place for these new zones.

> POSIX is just an implementation detail

Yes and no.  Yes, because there are tz parsers and runtimes that
run on non-POSIX systems.  No, because the restrictions that POSIX
imposes are realistic restrictions if we want the code and data
to be portable.