[tz] Rules for TZ+ database

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Thu Sep 5 14:52:45 UTC 2013

Lester Caine wrote:
> Isn't this exactly the situation I've just hit?

Yes that's right.

> Is there any problem with adding extra RULES in the relevant file

No, Rule lines are not the problem, since they're not
copied into zic's output.  It's the Zone and Link
lines that are the problem.

> It's the VISIBILITY of these additional identifiers which is the problem.

Yes, visibility is a problem, but it's not the only problem.
We also have data bloat even if the set of identifiers
remains the same, because turning a link into a zone
has a runtime expense.

> Is there no way to add something which existing zic scripts will simply ignore.

There isn't one now really, other than putting the data into
a different source file and not telling zic about that
source file.  Zefram's proposal would introduce a better
way to do that, and this is the sort of thing that I expect
will be needed before we can open the floodgates.