[tz] Rules for TZ+ database

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Thu Sep 5 14:57:35 UTC 2013

Paul Eggert wrote:
>> most end consumers of the data cannot tell the
>> >difference between a Link and a Zone. As such, from their perspective
>> >it is very odd to find that some IDs are allowed pre-1970 data and
>> >others are not
> If we're talking about the perspective of most end consumers,
> most of them don't know or care about pre-1970 data.
> So they won't find anything odd at all.

The problem with that statement is that 'some' end consumers do. Any application
which displays historic data via a timeline ( how far does facebook go back? )
and is switched to use the new way of handling local time will have a problem
when scrolling back in time if the calendar displays 'simple GMT times' in one
and 'proper local time' in another ...

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL