[tz] Rules for TZ+ database

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Fri Sep 6 20:50:37 UTC 2013

random832 at fastmail.us wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 6, 2013, at 16:02, Lester Caine wrote:
>> >When managing sites where users log in from around the world, we log all
>> >activity using UTC. That is the only way to do it.
> That's fine for logging; the problem is with scheduling future events.
>
> If someone schedules a meeting at (e.g.) noon next January, and between
> now and then the state that meeting takes place in switches from (e.g.)
> Eastern to Central time, then the program_must not_  move the meeting to
> eleven. Which means blindly storing the UTC or blindly storing a
> time+offset is inappropriate.

We already had that discussion yesterday! Check the list archive ;)

On the other front ...
http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/Zc will take a little while to run when you press
'run' and will show Isle of Man timezone with UK in background. If you pan left,
click and slide mouse right, then you will see the boundary between north and
south Ireland. The US areas are giving me a time out as they are too big.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL