[tz] US osm timezone

Derick Rethans tz at derickrethans.nl
Mon Sep 9 09:51:50 UTC 2013

On Fri, 6 Sep 2013, Guy Harris wrote:

> On Sep 6, 2013, at 2:06 PM, Lester Caine <lester at lsces.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/Zf
> > Will take a couple of minutes then ask about large data set.
> >
> > OK US timezone areas need a bit of a tidyup which was why this was
> > taking so long :( I'd certainly be looking to clean up all the
> > little areas back to the bigger boundaries if that is possible, and
> > adding the missing zones ... But THAT is the whole point, we can
> > simply edit this data ourselves.
>
> Or we could add the actual tzdb zone bounaries to OSM as relations.
> Querying *that* probably won't take as long.

We actually have discussed that before, but TZDB boundaries do not
really belong in OpenStreetMap. It is something that is very difficult
to indepedently survey on the ground! I would probably suggest to keep a
separate resource that links a TZDB ID to a (list of) OSM boundary
relations. With the help of the shapefiles at
http://efele.net/maps/tz/world/ that should be doable.

cheers,
Derick

--