[tz] version information in tz binary file?

Zefram zefram at fysh.org
Mon Sep 9 10:52:09 UTC 2013

Paul Eggert wrote:
>Do you think this is a good idea?

I'm dubious about it.  Firstly, as identification of the tzfile goes,
the db version is more distantly bound than the zone name.  If the
version is to be included, the zone name should be there as well.
You've already had that suggested.

Secondly, I'm wary of the purposes to which this information might be put.
It looks like you intend it for debugging/tracing purposes, which is OK.
But people might end up using it in semantically significant ways,
such as selecting a tzfile by searching for the one with a particular
version/name tag.  Such use should be discouraged.  If you explicate
in tzfile(5) that these tags do not affect the meaning of the file,
that should be OK.

-zefram