[tz] Question about leap seconds

Steve Allen sla at ucolick.org
Wed Sep 11 17:12:29 UTC 2013

On Wed 2013-09-11T10:07:27 -0700, Paul Eggert hath writ:
> But (as they mention) this definition doesn't match how well-regulated
> POSIX clocks keep time in practice.  There was an earlier proposal
> to standardize this:
>
> Kuhn M.
> Coordinated Universal Time with Smoothed Leap Seconds (UTC-SLS) (2006-01)
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-kuhn-leapsecond-00
>
> but as far as I know, it has not been adopted in practice.

This is effectively the same as Google's "Leap Smear".
(And the smear is an indication that even with the resources of
Google, defining and implementing their own corporate worldwide time
scale was more feasible than addressing the issues of leap seconds in
a heterogeneous ensemble of systems.)

--
Steve Allen                 <sla at ucolick.org>                WGS-84 (GPS)
UCO/Lick Observatory--ISB   Natural Sciences II, Room 165    Lat  +36.99855