[tz] New 'Theory' section "Accuracy of the tz database"

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Mon Sep 16 09:29:36 UTC 2013

Paul Eggert wrote:
>> This removes the need to create any new
>> >timezones for what is essentially outside the scope of the 'default'
>> >TZ distribution?
> I don't think anybody's proposing creating a new zone for every
> location on the planet, no.  The problem is that we'd need thousands
> of zones merely to handle standard time.

That is the bit I'm not currently getting?

I can't see that there are that many more 'standard time' timezones. Yes there
may be a lot of cross reference links that indicate when a location joined some
sort of standard time, and I'm happy that is a separate list, but why would
there be 'thousands' of new timezones? Perhaps it's just interpretation, but if
there is evidence for thousands more why are we saying it's all be lost?

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL