[tz] What is LMTZ?

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Thu Sep 19 08:10:10 UTC 2013

Guy Harris wrote:
>> At some point in the future we may also need a 'clock' but I suspect that will not be so well documented?
>
> If by "need a 'clock' but I suspect that will not be so well documented" you mean that the changes occur at a particular time on a particular date, whether the particular time is well documented or not, Zone lines already handle that; see, for example, the Zone lines for America/New_York:
Sorry - in my mind 'date' is a timestamp all the time - and 1830's is a date
with a 10 year time span ... genealogical standard terminaology.
By 'clock' I meant the way time is calculated during the day ... when did '24
hour days' come in ;)

>> Lets keep the term 'timezone' for the more complex rules involving all the annual changes which is the only time 'rules' are required?
> Unfortunately, at least in the US (and possibly other countries), the term "time zone" is used to refer to regions with a given base standard time; that form of time zone may include multiple subregions with *different* "seasonal time shift" rules.  For example, the Mountain Standard Time zone includes Colorado:
> So I prefer terms such as "tzdb zone" to refer to those things that have tzids.  I'm not wedded to *that* term, but there should be *some* term other than "time zone" for that.
> The tzdb currently does not have a concept of "time zone" in the sense of a region with a specified base time offset; are you suggesting that it add one?
I'm not sure I even understand the subtlety of that statement.
All I am trying to do is provide a way forward so we can document and include
pre-1972 ( and I'm going to stick with that date as a reference ) so that the
'condensed' database can exist with the full historic one. I'm trying to be
constructive here ... the historic database will have 10's of thousands of
locations, but at some 'timestamp' they will all switch to Paul's reduced
timezone set. I think that there will be another set of TIMEZONES which have
complex rules between 1916 and 1972 and prior to that TIMEGROUPS with a simple
time offset?

I'm just trying to lay down a framework that we can agree on so we can start to
hang what information we do have onto the right structure.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL