[tz] What is LMTZ?

Ian Abbott abbotti at mev.co.uk
Fri Sep 20 09:01:09 UTC 2013

On 2013-09-20 00:42, Guy Harris wrote:
> I *REALLY* don't see most code that uses the tzdb, or that uses APIs
> that use the tzdb, needing to care about pre-standardized-time clocks
> except to indicate the date and time when standardized time was
> adopted, and don't think the tzdb needs to handle that.  I think that
> belongs elsewhere.

Pre-standardized time is a fairly murky place.  For example,
pre-standardized Japanese time used 12 hours for night-time and 12 hours
for day-time, with the lengths of each set of hours varying through the
seasons.  There were adjustable mechanical clocks that worked on this
system.  I hope no one would argue that this sort of thing belongs in
the tzdb.

--
-=( Ian Abbott @ MEV Ltd.    E-mail: <abbotti at mev.co.uk>        )=-
-=( Tel: +44 (0)161 477 1898   FAX: +44 (0)161 718 3587         )=-