[tz] Cellphone tz updates often not happening in Israel

Martin Burnicki martin.burnicki at burnicki.net
Tue Sep 24 21:23:05 UTC 2013

Richard Johnson wrote:
> Most Android 2 and 3 devices are likely to have tzdata2010k.  90%+ of
> Android devices are non-upgradeable (for various reasons including:
> carriers will not provide upgrades, hardware is too weak to support new
> versions, etc.), so they have security vulnerabilities on top of any
> outdated TZ info.

That's why I had suggested some time ago on this list to introduce a
portable network protocol allowing tz data base updates, so the
availability of data base updates would not depend on update packages
provided by the OS distributors, which are usually only made available
together with a firmware update.

Martin