[tz] rumour: spain to move timezone?

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Thu Sep 26 20:46:35 UTC 2013

gunther Vermeir <gunther.vermeir at gmail.com> writes:

> just fyi: News is popping up that some "legislators" want to move Spain
> from CET timezone to the Portuguese.  I was unable to check if this has
> any real chance of occurring or if this is just a crazy story going
> around.

> http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/26/spain-time-zone-change_n_3995313.html

    "The fact that for more than 71 years Spain has not been in its proper
    time zone means ... we sleep almost an hour less than the World Health
    Organization recommends," the lawmakers wrote. "All this has a
    negative effect on productivity, absenteeism, stress, accidents and
    school drop-out rates."

Ah, the power of time zones.