[tz] re : Time zones in Ukraine

random832 at fastmail.us random832 at fastmail.us
Thu Apr 17 17:04:57 UTC 2014

On Thu, Apr 17, 2014, at 9:20, Ian Abbott wrote:
> Unix systems store the timestamp in universal time, so the local
> timezone the system was in at the time the file was
> created/modified/accessed shouldn't matter (assuming the system time was
> set correctly).

This entire conversation is predicated on the assumption that we want to
display it in local time. If there is a correct answer, then the
timezone the file was created in is a better candidate than the timezone
your current geographic location (where the file may not have been
created) observed. Rejecting the assumption makes the _entire_ exercise
irrelevant, not only the part I brought up.