[tz] China time zones 1949 - 1980: appeal to speakers of Mandarin

Luther Ma ma.lude.xj at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 18:40:43 UTC 2014

I have interviewed numerous people of various nationalities and from different localities in Xinjiang and can confirm the information in Guo's report regarding Xinjiang, as well as the Time article reference by David Cochrane.

Whether officially recognized or not (and both are officially recognized), two separate times have been in use in Xinjiang since at least the Cultural Revolution: Xinjiang Time (XJT), aka Urumqi Time or local time; and Beijing Time.

There is no confusion in Xinjiang as to which name refers to which time. Both are widely used in the province, although in some population groups might be use one to the exclusion of the other.

The only problem is that computers and smart phones list Urumqi (or Kashgar) as having the same time as Beijing.

I don't know why this would be a very big problem to fix. Then users can choose to set their computers or cell phones to Beijing time if they want, or to Xinjiang time if they want (instead of choosing some other locality like Dacca, which works until they go on daylight time.)

Please fix this,
-Luther