[tz] The case against time zones

John Haxby john.haxby at oracle.com
Fri Aug 8 12:52:03 UTC 2014

On 07/08/14 15:20, Paul_Koning at dell.com wrote:
> On Aug 6, 2014, at 7:39 PM, Paul Eggert <eggert at CS.UCLA.EDU> wrote:
>
>> > In Vox yesterday Matthew Yglesias argued that time zones ought to be abolished, writing "They were a good idea at the time, but in the modern world they cause more trouble than they are worth."  It's tempting to agree.  See:
>> >
>> > Yglesias M. The case against time zones: They're impractical & outdated. Vox 2014-08-05. http://www.vox.com/2014/8/5/5970767/case-against-time-zones
> That certainly is pretty entertaining comedy.

Certainly is.

I was wondering what would happen in winter when some organisations
change their office hours to avoid travelling to (or from) work (or
school) in the dark?   That would have a knock-on effect on train
timetables so the train companies would adjust their schedules to match
the demand and we'd get summer and winter timetables.

What we really need is a very large array of mirrors and shades so that
the entire planet has a common day/night schedule that is invariant
through the year.

jch