[tz] US Sep 30, 1945

Ken Murchison murch at andrew.cmu.edu
Fri Dec 12 13:50:06 UTC 2014

All,

I'm wondering why the US rule for Sep 30, 1945 uses an explicit date
rather than lastSun, where it would dovetail nicely into the existing
rules for America/New_York, Chicago, Indiana/Indianapolis (and maybe
others) which cover 1946-1954.

The only reason that I care is because when converting the TZ data into
iCalendar VTIMEZONEs with vzic, the dst->std transition for 1945 doesn't
get coalesced into the recurrence rule for 1946-1954. I won't bother
going into the reason for how/why vzic isn't able to coalesce these, but
I'm pretty sure that it would take a non-trivial amount of
work/logic/code to fix it.

--
Kenneth Murchison
Principal Systems Software Engineer