[tz] Adding Asia/Beijing timezone into the database

Alois Treindl alois at astro.ch
Sun Feb 2 17:36:03 UTC 2014

It's a while since this had been discussed and the proposed
Link Asia/Shanghai	Asia/Beijing
has not been added.

This makes sense.

What makes much less sense is using Shanghai TZ history for most of
China. The city area of Shanghai had (according to Shank, as used in tz)
Daylight saving time in the summers of 1940 and 1941.

The rest of China had definitely no Daylight saving time in those two
years, except for four small city pockets around Wuhan (Hubei), Nanjing
(Jiangsu), Hangzhou (Zhejiang), Suzhou (Jiangsu), which, again according
to Shanks, had DST in 1941, but not in 1940.

In consequence, I propose to create zone Asia/Beijing by copying (not
linking) Asia/Shangai, but leaving oit the DST in 1940 and 1941.