[tz] CIA confused about Cedros Island time zone?

Steve Jones stevejones at OnTimeZone.com
Sun Feb 2 23:41:18 UTC 2014

At 07:38 2/2/2014, Arthur David Olson wrote:
> From Randy Olson (no known relation), a map of solar time versus clock time:
>
><https://twitter.com/randal_olson/statuses/429969774831882242>https://twitter.com/randal_olson/statuses/429969774831882242

That map, and the maps it was derived from (including the original
source, the CIA) show Cedros Island as being UTC-7 (as if it were in
Baja Sur, not Baja).

The border between Baja and Baja Sur is on the 28th parallel, which
lies south of Cedros Island.  Baja is in the Pacific Time zone,
UTC-8.  Baja Sur is in the Mountain time zone, UTC-7.

I find multiple references confirming that Cedros Island is part of
Baja, thus UTC-8.  I find no references making any allusion to the
official or unofficial observed time on the island to be other than UTC-8.

This seems to be a significant error, not I presume the type the CIA
normally makes... so I am wondering if I've missed something.

Thoughts?

Regards,

Steve Jones, St. Louis, MO
Emacs!