[tz] Turkey to delay DST

John Hawkinson jhawk at mit.edu
Fri Feb 28 21:45:57 UTC 2014

David Braverman <david at braverman.org> wrote on Fri, 28 Feb 2014
at 13:19:10 +0000 in <bf1eb347c28b440e804f199165dca2a9 at BLUPR04MB037.namprd04.prod.outlook.com>:

> *Schedule* to wall-clock time; *log* to UTC.

It really doesn't matter what you do with historical events, so we
don't need to discuss it here. Also, it's not like this is
apps-discuss-for-calendaring-software-plus-time-nuts at .

Unless something goes wrong, historical timestamps really don't change,
so UTC and local time can be converted between reliably.

That said, for most calendaring applications, it is better to log in
the timezone assocaited with the event, because if there is a change,
that's much more likely to be accurate.

For systems -type applications (security log of who walked into the
scheduled conference room that is centrally maintained by door sensors
of Multinational Corporation0, then UTC might be better. But it really
should not matter.

And if we're worrying about retroactive DST adjustments, well, I think
there are few enough of those that I would want to look at some real
cases before offering an opinion.

--jhawk at mit.edu
  John Hawkinson