[tz] Non-valid timezones, is there a rule to remove them?

Andrew Paprocki andrew at ishiboo.com
Thu Jan 23 14:31:23 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 5:40 AM, Fabiano Fidêncio <fabiano at fidencio.org>wrote:

>  The link in the GNOME bug goes to
>>

>> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms912391(v=winembedded.11).aspx
>>
>> which is *NOT* a mapping between Microsoft's Time Zone Indexes and tz
>> database tzids; it's a list of Time Zone Indexes, names for the zone in
>> question, and time offsets and descriptions of the locale for the zone.
>>
>> Some people might take the description of the locale for the name and use
>> it to try to guess the tzid to which it maps, but, as far as I know,
>> Microsoft makes no claim that the "Time" column on the page can be easily
>> mapped to a tzid.
>>

> Yes, for sure they don't do this.
> Unfortunately we are forced to map to their format, getting the info from
> libical (which one gets the info from the zone.tab file).

AFAIK, Unicode CLDR maintains the Windows->tzid mapping, which also
requires the country as input in order to narrow down which zone is
intended. For example, the disambiguation between UTC+06:00 zones:

http://unicode.org/cldr/trac/browser/tags/release-24/common/supplemental/windowsZones.xml#L487

-Andrew