[tz] Bill to return Russia 11 time zones

Alexander Krivenyshev wtz at worldtimezone.com
Tue Jul 1 23:41:30 UTC 2014

Paul Eggert <eggert <at> cs.ucla.edu> writes:

> Thanks for the heads-up.  So the Crimeans will change time zones twice
> in the same year?  Probably the least of their worries....  Speaking of
> which, we should move the entry for Europe/Simferopol closer to that for
> Europe/Moscow, to simplify this sort of maintenance.
>
> It is amusing that all changes are supposed to happen at 02:00 Moscow
> time.  So the folks in Vladivostok are supposed to move their clock
> backs at 09:00 local time?
>
> The ITAR-TASS article is a little hazy on the details of the new time
> zone boundaries.  Most of them seem to be the same as before.  Although
> the article suggests that we may need to split a zone because of
> Zabajkal'skij kraj, I'd like to see a copy of the actual legislation
> before going that far.  I noodled around on the State Duma website
> without finding the law; perhaps they're still working on publication.
> In the meantime, I've attached a proposed patch (all in ASCII!  for
> the parts of the change that seem reasonably clear.  I've pushed this to
> the experimental repository on github.
>
> I also wonder whether neighboring countries will follow suit.  Belarus,
> Armenia, and Azerbaijan, for example.

According to the news, this new bill will be considered in the Russian
Federation Council in a week from today (on July 9, 2014) and then have to
be signed by the President.

Text of the bill (in Russian) could be found on State Duma web site:
http://asozd2.duma.gov.ru/main.nsf/%28Spravka%29?OpenAgent&RN=431985-6&02
or
http://www.worldtimezone.com/dst_news/dst_news_russia64.html

If approved, new changes will come into effect on October 26, 2014 at
02:00.
(newspaper put wrong statement "at 02:00 Moscow time")

Alexander Krivenyshev, WorldTimeZone.com