[tz] [apps-discuss] Proposed working group: Timezone Data Distribution Service (tzdist)

John Haxby john.haxby at oracle.com
Thu Jul 3 07:53:32 UTC 2014

On 3 Jul 2014, at 04:58, Mike Douglass <mikeadouglass at gmail.com> wrote:

> You said in your referenced message
>
>> This may not be a big deal for users in the United States, or in Europe,
>> where DST rules are changing only very rarely.
>
> However, in scheduling, you may be in the US but an attendee might be in Argentina which also has the tendency to wait till the last moment. So we're all potentially affected by tz changes.

It’s worse than that.   Fortunately I’m not in any support orrganisation, but a timezone changes can affect an organisation’s ability to provide 24 hour support coverage.  Where there was previously overlap between two centres, there’s now a gap.   Any of the multi-national corporations are going to be affected in one way or another if they have any kind of presence in a country that makes timezone changes.

> It seems odd that tz data is treated like code to be updated as system patches when it changes.

I have some sympathy with that.