[tz] Mapping lat/lon to timezones, in Go

John Layt jlayt at kde.org
Mon Jul 14 12:29:50 UTC 2014

On 14 July 2014 09:54, Lester Caine <lester at lsces.co.uk> wrote:
> On 12/07/14 15:30, Dirkjan Ochtman wrote:
>> This might be interesting for people on this list:
>>
>> https://plus.google.com/u/0/+BradFitzpatrick/posts/XVyy1bAzkZd
>
> It's worth pointing out the 'restriction' that this is using base data
> that is not accurate close to borders. Something we have highlighted
> before when using the simplified shape files as a base. But it is still
> a useful tool!

Quite a clever little hack to save memory, yes the shp file suffers
from a lack of accuracy, but so does the geolocation input data.  One
reason I like the Gnome proposal to use spatialite to do proper
geoprocesing is you can assign a buffer function to all borders and if
you fall within the buffer then ask the user to make a choice, or try
use some other heuristic to help decide.

John.