[tz] Large scale changes proposed in 2014f

Stephen Colebourne scolebourne at joda.org
Fri Jul 25 14:12:47 UTC 2014

I believe that the changes currently proposed are far far too
widespread and damaging.

I have taken the latest in the GitHub repo and expanded them out into
actual resolved results. The differences between 2014e and
2014f-proposed can be seen here:
https://github.com/jodastephen/tzdiff/commit/c812da9e12bd6f8aa52fa2dd758e236581c23a29

(other version differences available here:
https://github.com/jodastephen/tzdiff/commits/proposed-2014f)

As can be seen from the first link, the changes proposed are very
widespread. they include
- Africa/Accra gains DST between 1920 and 1935
- Africa/Freetown loses its entire history of DST
- Africa/Kampala has very different DST history
- Africa/Dar_es_Salaam has entirely different history before 1961
- Africa/Djibouti gains history before 1960
- Africa/Addis_Ababa has completely different history before 1960
- Africa/Asmara has completely different history before 1960
- Africa/Conakry loses history before 1960
- Africa/Banjul loses history before 1964
- Africa/Maseru gains DST history
- Africa/Mbabane gains DST history
- Africa/Mogadishu gains completely different DST history

and many others with more minor changes.

I'd also note that Ho_Chi_Minh, Kashgar, Saigon, Vientiane and
Phnom_Penh lose their entire history

The changes to Asia/Qatar and Asia/Kuwait look suspect.

Asia/Urumqi loses its entire history.

Indian/Antananarivo, Comoro and Mayotte get entirely different DST history.

Pacific/Midway, Pago_Pago, Saipan, Samoa get entirely different DST history.

The above is an attempt to summarise some but not all of the changes.
I am far from convinced that the scale of the proposed changes (far
bigger than even 2013e) have been anywhere near justified.

Is there consensus on the list that all of these changes are better
than what went before?

Stephen