[tz] Russian parliament to discuss re-introduction of ‘winter time’ June 10

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Mon Jun 9 16:32:20 UTC 2014

On 06/09/2014 08:52 AM, Ian Abbott wrote:
> Does this mean the current tz database is wrong as it currently
> considers Russia to be standard time rather than summer time?

Our convention has been that if clocks are the same all year round and
if this appears to be permanent, the isdst flag is zero even if the time
zone's official name includes phrases like "daylight" or "summer".

Admittedly it's sometimes hard to tell whether a setting is permanent,
but nowadays my impression of typical usage is that the time in Moscow
is called simply "Moscow time"("Московское время"), which suggests that
it's OK for the isdst flag to be zero there.