[tz] Non-ASCII outside comments?

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Wed Jun 25 19:17:12 UTC 2014

Arthur David Olson wrote:
> Should zic permit non-ASCII characters in zone names? In time zone
> abbreviations?
> If they are permitted, should zic warn about them?

Currently zic allows non-ASCII characters in both places, no?  Or more
precisely, zic allows any byte except for ", newline, and the null byte.
  So the question is whether zic should stop allowing nearly-arbitrary
byte strings, even byte strings that are not properly encoded characters.

The simplest thing to do is to leave zic alone.  I don't see much harm
in that, though perhaps I'm missing something.

PS to others: This is not a question about the tz database, as it will
stick to a small subset of ASCII characters in zone names, as documented
in "Theory".  It's a question about what happens when people use 'zic'
privately on their own databases.