[tz] Possible error in Europe/Kiev for 1991 - 1992

Brian Inglis Brian.Inglis at systematicsw.ab.ca
Sun Mar 2 03:07:48 UTC 2014

On 2014-02-28 08:27, Alois Treindl wrote:
> In western and Ukrainian astrology circles, there is on ongoing dispute about which timezone was in force in Kiev/Ukraine on the date the parliament decided about its independence, on 24 August 1991.
>
> Mostly, a timezone of GMT +3h is considered correct.
>
> This is in conflict with what TZ database states for that date.
> I have used Google translation to get the content of the links Vladimir provides:
>
> A) http://search.ligazakon.ua/l_doc2.nsf/link1/T001500.html
> " Set on 1 July 1990 in the Ukrainian SSR, the second time zone with the addition of one hour."
> This page says that Ukraine adopted 2he as standard time on 1 July 1990.
> One could interpret this that it talks about the timezone being 2he plus one hour.
> But I do not think it does.  I think it means:
> Standard time moved to 2he, the clock was shifted west by one hour, i.e. one hour was added in the course of transition.
> (from h3e to h2e, if DST was not in force, or from h4e to h3e, if DST was in force).
> The statement does not confirm whether DST was in force or not at that data.

Depends on what "the second time zone" means: relative to UTC, or relative to Russia?

Russian time zones can be specified relative to UTC as in tz, relative to Russia
(as legislation in some countries is written, sometimes referring instead to their
internal "standard meridians"), and relative to Moscow.

Russian zones were/are as shown with all three references at:
http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/time-zone/russia/time-zones/index.htm
under Russia time zones below the ads on the right, and half way down the body
of the page under Russia Standard Time Zones.