[tz] Time zone in Troll station

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Sat Mar 8 07:19:20 UTC 2014

Bengt-Inge Larsson wrote:
> The Troll station station officially uses UTC+0. During the dark season March-October, when no air or overland travel is done, it uses Norwegian summertime UTC+2 to simplify communication.
> So I suggest you add a new zone called Antarctica/Troll
>
> You may confirm this through Paul-Inge Flakstad at the Norwegian Polar Institute  (flakstad at npolar.no  )

Thanks for the heads-up.  To create an entry we'll need some
more-detailed information.  Do they switch local clocks from UTC
directly to UTC+2 regularly each year, or is the switchover irregular
and informal?  Likewise for the switch from UTC+2 back to UTC.  For a tz
entry we'll need exact switchover times.

Is the official time (UTC) the time that people at the station normally
use when coordinating with each other?

When has the current station been inhabited?  As I understand it, it was
intended to be year-round but has been closed some winters.

Thanks.