[tz] Politics of TZ changes

gunther Vermeir gunther.vermeir at gmail.com
Tue May 13 17:41:59 UTC 2014

On 05/13/2014 06:29 PM, Matt Johnson wrote:
>  Cumulatively this could have an economic impact, so one would think
> it would be in a countries own best interest to give sufficient notice.

One would think so, especially seen the actual rather significant cost
for all company's doing business in that country/region to make sure all
systems (if it is at all possible or even noticed before it's to late
that it is affected ) are up to date .

I think it often bottoms down to (some form of) ignorance.
Something like "How hard can it be to set the clock one hour forward" ,
ignoring or not having a clue of the impact this is having.

I highly doubt the politicians who make these kind of "hey i have a
great idea, let's change the start date / introduce / stop with using
DST next week/month" would be in any way way bothered by some kind of
"international guidelines".

IMHO the only real impact would be to have some big (local) company's
knock on that door and ask to stop this silly behavior. But of course
the people who might actually do that (ceo etc level) just yell at the
tech people to "get it fixed"..

And then you have of course the cultural/social factor introduced by
linking daylight saving to the Ramadan, who's start date is a variable
factor.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramadan#Beginning
Something for which I see no real solution besides country's like
Morocco or Egypt deciding to not use an other offset during the Ramadan
period.

Just my 2 cents :)

Gunther