[tz] The Mysterious Cube

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Sun Nov 30 10:32:45 UTC 2014

On 30/11/14 05:32, Paul Eggert wrote:
> Thanks, I installed that patch into the experimental version on GitHub.
>
> Wow, the Arlington Time Signal -- it's been a looong time since that
> phrase was in common use.  Although a big deal in the early days of
> radio, the Arlington Radio Towers were dismantled in 1941 because they
> would have been a hazard to aircraft approaching the new Washington
> National Airport; see
> <http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WMDEB_The_Arlington_Radio_Towers>.
>
> Perhaps the 1957 Superman episode was derived from an earlier source, a
> comic book say?  Or maybe Superman had some time-travel powers that "The
> Mysterious Cube" didn't disclose....

Rugby lasted a lot longer and I have no doubt many people in the UK will
still think the UK Time signals still originate there, but they
transferred North in 2007. Although it is still the MSF signal after the
Rugby callsign. I had thought it had moved a lot earlier as I can
remember discussions in the 90's as we always used a radio clock as the
time source for every station system.

Interesting just scanning the differences between MSF and WWVB in
relation to DST and leapseconds, but how does WWVB handle the different
time zones in the US? And are they using TZ to determine when :)

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL