[tz] St Andrews meridian in the 17th century

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Sun Oct 5 20:11:37 UTC 2014

On 05/10/14 18:33, Peter Ilieve wrote:
> On 5 Oct 2014, at 17:18, Lester Caine <lester at lsces.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> It is this area that wy own interests lie, and it is not clear from the
>> limited data provided on James Gregory if his meridian was actually
>> associated with setting time anywhere other than St. Andrew? Just what
>> was the spread of usage of common time across the UK back in the 17th
>> century?
>
> Yes, I noticed that the St Andrews press release didn’t say anything
> about this meridian being used to define local time back then, even for
> the town, let alone anywhere else. It only mentions astronomical
> observations.
Many of the meridians Paul mentions are simply astronomical reference
point rather than 'timezone identifiers'?

> A couple of minor points:
>
> The town, and hence the university, is St Andrews. It’s the saint who
> is Andrew. Maybe your ? was just a typo.
typo ... I've had a couple of new keyboards, but I'm back with the one
which screws up occasionally just for it's feel ... 's' is one that gets
missed

> It wasn’t really the UK in the 17th century. Scotland was a separate
> kingdom, although under the same King as England post the union of the
> crowns in 1603. Those kingdoms weren’t united until the union of the
> parliaments in 1707.
There are many reasons why Europe/London is not right going back in time
:) The Isle of Man is not actually part of the UK either even today.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL