[tz] zone.tab deprecation

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Thu Oct 16 19:43:51 UTC 2014

On 10/16/2014 12:20 PM, Matt Johnson wrote:
> Can't we just maintain both files indefinitely?

Yes and no.  We can make changes to both when that's easy (e.g., the
2014f changes for Russia, or the proposed changes for Bougainville) but
some newer changes are not easily expressed in the old model and those
changes are omitted from zone.tab (e.g., the 2014f changes for Crozet
and the Scattered Islands, or theproposedchanges for Vietnam before 1976).

I don't anticipate zone.tab going away any time soon, but it has already
started to drift away from being the "full" or "canonical" list, and I
don't recommend it for new applications.