[tz] Moscow MSK Time Zone in 2014 changed again

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Wed Oct 29 08:01:06 UTC 2014

Evgeni Makarov wrote:
> But does it correct that we have line 596:
>
> 596 Rule Russia 1996 2010 - Oct lastSun 2:00s 0 -
>
> And then no similar rule for 2014 when this rule was reverted?

Rules are about daylight saving time, and last weekend's change is about
standard time.  Although the Russian popular press may have described the change
as an abolition of "perpetual" daylight saving time, from the tz database point
of view "perpetual" daylight saving time is just another name for standard time,
and therefore the tz database modeled the recent Russian change as being a
change to standard time.

Another way to put it is that although governments may set standards, standards
change and nothing is perpetual....