[tz] tz database

Tim Parenti tim at timtimeonline.com
Wed Sep 24 14:42:00 UTC 2014

On 23 September 2014 11:46, Zhang, Heather <Heather.Zhang at sabre.com> wrote:

> does IANA provide a csv/xls download of tz with daylight saving time info
> for all cities in the world and delta download periodically?

No, tz do not provide such formats.  Additionally, covering all cities
individually is an ill-defined problem which is well beyond our scope.
Instead, we aim to cover all areas of the world by defining regions in
which clocks have agreed since 1970, and we typically name such regions
with a single city representative of each region, even if a region covers
many cities.

You can find a list of region identifiers in the zone*.tab files (found in
tzdata).  You may find the zdump tool (included in tzcode) useful in
expanding out this data to individual observances and generating deltas for
your own purposes.

--
Tim Parenti