[tz] Belarus is listed in MSK timezone

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Fri Apr 3 22:12:03 UTC 2015

> I just don't see why Belarus is denied (and even deprived of) its own
> time zone name in similar situation.

The name is Europe/Minsk and that is not in dispute?

I had of cause missed that there are no daylight savings changes now and
it is just a fixed offset? In which case there is no reason to be using
any abbreviation but UTC+3 anyway? I only view abbreviations as
important where there are changes during the year and one has to
identify which offset is in use where a date is not provided.

The history for Europe/Minsk timezone goes back to 1880 at which time
Minsk Mean Time was adopted and the political affiliations since then
are not relevant to the historic changes made subsequently. MSK is still
the natural choice given that history, but UTC+3 is probably equally
valid if there is no plan to follow Russia if they reintroduce daylight
saving ... which is the reason put forward for the current choice of
offset anyway?

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL