[tz] Belarus is listed in MSK timezone

Guy Harris guy at alum.mit.edu
Fri Apr 3 23:32:36 UTC 2015

On Apr 3, 2015, at 4:20 PM, Dzmitry Kazimirchyk <dkazimirchyk at gmail.com> wrote:

> I also urge you not to downplay the role of time zone abbreviations in the TZ database, due to their vast usage in software in general and in particular to display formatted dates.

What about the problems caused by their usage, such as their ambiguity?  I'd *REALLY* like to see them deprecated.  Note that the _tzname[] array in Windows contains long names, not abbreviations, so there's a fair bit of software out there that doesn't use them to display formatted dates on Windows.  (Wireshark on Windows, for example, uses the _tzname[] array, so Wireshark on Windows doesn't say "PST", it says "Pacific Standard Time".  It might even say something different in different locales, i.e. it might show it in the locale's language rather than in English.)

But if you don't want them downplayed, please suggest an abbreviation to use for Minsk time.