[tz] Samoa Standard Time

Hank W. hankw1 at austin.rr.com
Thu Apr 16 21:07:24 UTC 2015

FYI:  I sent the following message to my U.S. Senators and my U.S.
Representative:

Whereas there exists a country which has been named Samoa since July 1997,

Whereas Samoa is entirely separate from the Territory of American Samoa,

Whereas Samoa and American Samoa have had standard times since 1911,

Whereas the standard time in Samoa has differed from the standard time in
American Samoa since the 30th of December 2011 (in addition to the period
from 1911 to 1950, when the time in Western Samoa was known as Samoa Time
and the time in American Samoa was known as Nome Standard Time), and

Whereas the standard times in both locations continue to be known as Samoa
Standard Time,

Despite the report in the Samoa Wikipedia article that American Samoans
protested Samoa's name change and continue to call it Western Samoa, and

Despite the difference between the abbreviations of Samoa's Samoa Standard
Time (WSST) and American Samoa's Samoa Standard Time (SST), which is due to
the fact that the ISO-3166 international standard abbreviation of Samoa is
still WS,

In the interest of reducing international confusion, I recommend that the
Code of Federal Regulations, Title 49, Subtitle A, Part 71, Section 71.13
and the United States Code, Title 15, Chapter 6, Subchapter IX, Section 263
be amended to change the name of the standard time in American Samoa from
Samoa standard time to American Samoa standard time.

Although I hope they make the change, I'm not holding my breath.  I sent a
similar message last year to the U.S. Department of Transportation, the
Executive Department in charge of U.S. time zones, but received no reply.
Besides, if we were interested in reducing international confusion, we would
have switched to the metric system.

Hank Wisniewski, Austin, Texas, U.S.A.