[tz] Database and Code compatibility

Arthur David Olson arthurdavidolson at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 17:09:16 UTC 2015

At least by design, old programs can handle current binary files. The
binary files include an old (32-bit) representation of the source files,
followed by a new (64-bit) representation. (Back at the start of the
project in the 1980s, time_t values were 32 bits; as they grew to 64 bits,
the binaries were expanded to cover the bigger time_t range. Old programs,
as well as 32-bit programs, ignore the 64-bit data.)

    @dashdashado