[tz] Kyiv time zone

Brian Inglis Brian.Inglis at systematicsw.ab.ca
Wed Apr 29 18:44:03 UTC 2015

On 2015-04-29 08:36, random832 at fastmail.us wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 1, 2015, at 01:49, Paul Eggert wrote:
>> If memory serves that was Arthur David Olson's decision when he was
>> maintainer,
>> but I can share my two cents.  In English, the name "Kolkata" is far more
>> common
>> than "Calcutta" nowadays, so a name change was in order.
>
> It seems that this privileges India's ability to define the English
> names of its cities, as a country with English as an official language,
> vs other countries' ability to do so.

The Chinese capital has been known in English as Peking (from Cantonese
pronunciation), Peiping, Beiping, and Beijing, in English language
announcements produced by various Chinese governments.
See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Names_of_Beijing

When governments do not make announcements in English, the usage will
be that oflocal English language journalists, unless edited by a
publication, for easier local comprehension or political reasons.
--
Take care. Thanks, Brian Inglis