[tz] Question about historical TZData for North Carolina

Clifford Ribaudo cr at iphemeris.com
Sat Dec 5 17:07:10 UTC 2015

Hi,

I’m working on some astronomical/astrological software and looking for open source Historical Time Zone data. Obviously I’m looking at tzdata but find that while some local peculiarities are covered such as Indiana, but places like North Carolina are not?

Specifically, there does not appear to be a way to do a tzdump for America/North_Carolina to get the adoption of DST in 1966? Am I missing something here? North Carolina appears to be grouped under America/New_York, however New York DST adoption was very different from some of the other more “stubborn” states in the Eastern Zone.

I would like to propose that Zone Names be added for each state and which at a minimum simply model the adoption of DST in 1966. This is helpful to applications like mine that look up a zone name by lat/lng and then try to get a Time Zone for a date.

Thanks,
Cliff Ribaudo
cr at iphemeris.com