[tz] Chile will keep UTC -3 all year round indefinitely

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Wed Jan 28 19:35:51 UTC 2015

On 01/28/2015 11:29 AM, Juan Correa wrote:
> If I understand correctly, the patch translates as UTC -4 being the
> no-DST timezone for Chile until 25 April 2015; right?.
>
> If so, the patch it's OK

Yes, that's right.  If Chile intends to stay on DST permanently, the
usual practice is for the tz database to model that as the new standard
time, effective when the rules change.

> as long as it's possible to change the start date for this (in case
> the decrees changes the definition of 'Hora Oficial' instead of just
> derogating DST)

Yes, we can do that as more information comes in.  Presumably this won't
affect UTC offset, it's only an issue of the English-language alphabetic
abbreviation and the tm_isdst flag.