[tz] Proposal: validation text file with releases

Jon Skeet skeet at pobox.com
Sun Jul 12 07:13:10 UTC 2015

On 11 July 2015 at 12:34, Steffen Nurpmeso <sdaoden at yandex.com> wrote:

> Jon Skeet <skeet at pobox.com> wrote:
>  |Given how widely used zdump is, we can't really change the format by
>  |default - but we could perhaps add a new flag to indicate a new format,
>  |assuming I'm not alone in my objections above?
>  |(Having said that, a dump with the data in a format I'm not ecstatic
> about
>  |would be better for me than no dump at all. I'm certainly not going to
>  |start chest-thumping about formats.)
>
> I think Ed Schouten of FreeBSD has done something alike -- based
> on zdump(1) that is -- for his CloudABI framework (in FreeBSD and
> on that hub).  If i understood the presentation he doesn't parse
> TZDATA itself but uses the pre-prepared output of zdump(1) to
> generate his data; maybe you can simply use that in return.

Well, as I mentioned before, the zdump data is incomplete - it doesn't show
what portion of the total wall offset is due to DST. (So for
Antarctica/Troll, for example, there's no way of knowing that the savings
are 2 hours.) I haven't looked at the C code implementation yet to see
whether that's because zdump chooses not to expose that information, or
whether the output of zic doesn't actually include it (in which case zic
would presumably need to be cloned or changed).

Jon