[tz] Proposal: validation text file with releases

Steffen Nurpmeso sdaoden at yandex.com
Fri Jul 17 13:34:30 UTC 2015

Tim Parenti <tim at timtimeonline.com> wrote:
 |On 15 July 2015 at 08:45, Steffen Nurpmeso <sdaoden at yandex.com> wrote:
 |> What would be an issue to me is instead that TZDIST doesn't offer
 |> a binary representation but only (iCalendar,) JSON and XML, which
 |> require parser libraries, whereas with CBOR the IETF standardizes
 |> a wonderful, extensible and otherwise future-proof binary format
 |> that also has been designed with easy JSON mapping in my mind.
 |
 |Not that this should become a tzdist discussion, but it is my understanding
 |that tzdist has left the distribution of compiled binaries for zones to
 |future work.  In particular, this would require writing up a spec
 |describing the binaries compiled by zic.  Certainly not insurmountable, but
 |also not a priority at this time.
 |
 |http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/tzdist/current/msg01207.html
 |http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/tzdist/current/msg01218.html

Ah, (oh,) i am not on this list, i only have read the draft once
that came up on the leapsecond list (version -05).  I never used
any TZ code (we had a single large DB, but with the possibility to
include one (see how weird) timezone in the library binary), and
if you would ask me then i don't think that including anything zic
is a good option (but don't dig deeper here).  I would simply take
the developed TZDIST protocol and instead of

   GET /capabilities HTTP/1.1
   Host: tz.example.com

   >> Response <<

   HTTP/1.1 200 OK