[tz] Time Zone City for China

John Haxby john.haxby at oracle.com
Wed Jul 22 11:12:24 UTC 2015

On 22/07/15 10:26, Guy Harris wrote:
> Perhaps I shall set up a VM with the latest Fedora and see if it's any better and, if not, file another bug there.  (Maybe SuSE as well?  Un-Canonicalized Debian?)

I just had a look at the Fedora 22 KDE timezone selector.

There's a search box into which I typed "China" and that gives me a
table like this:

+-----------+----------------------------+---------------+
|  Area     | Region                     | Comment       |
+-----------+----------------------------+---------------+
| Hong Kong | Asia/Hong Kong SAR (China) |               |
| Macau     | Asia/Macau SAR (China)     |               |
| Shanghai  | Asia/China                 | Bejing Time   |
| Urumqi    | Asia/China                 | Xinjiang Time |
+-----------+----------------------------+---------------+

I was going to compare that to the Gnome F23 version but that just
crashes :)  That'll teach me for running pre-alpha.

So it's not all bad, but it falls a long way short of what the mac does.

Oh, and it reports my current time zone as "Europe/London (LMT)" which
is a little weird.  And I know I'm used to this living in a country with
four possible names, but I can search for "United Kingdom" and find
London but Britain, Great Britain and England all fail to find anything.
The Scots, Welsh and those in Ulster are going to be similarly
disappointed.   Especially the Scots :)

jch