[tz] CST timezone that does not account for DST

Chris Walton Chris.Walton at telus.com
Thu Jul 30 21:11:55 UTC 2015

> On Thu, Jul 30, 2015, at 14:21, Brian Inglis wrote:
> > In Canada, areas that do not change their GMT offset do change their
> > time legally at the same time as the rest of North America, from CST
> > to MDT or MST to PDT, etc. i.e. they observe the daylight saving time
> > of the zone to the west. ;^>
>
> Do you have a citation for this? It certainly doesn't seem to actually be true of the
> current implementation in tzdata.
>
> I live in Indiana and people (before DST was adopted) would often _talk_ about
> being on central time or "chicago time" for half the year, but it wasn't actually
> true in any official sense.

Brian,
Canadians living in one the areas where the clocks do not change often "believe" that they are switching time zones twice a year.  I think I have posted comments about this in the past.
However, the legislation (where it exists) says nothing about changing time zones in these areas.
e.g. #1 from the Saskatchewan Time Act:
	"Time in eastern Saskatchewan and northeastern Saskatchewan:
		6. Central standard time shall be used and observed throughout the year in
		eastern Saskatchewan and in northeastern Saskatchewan."
e.g. #2 from the Quebec Time Act:
	"In the part of Québec east of the meridian of 63 degrees west longitude,
	the legal time is Atlantic Standard Time, which is four hours behind Coordinated
	Universal Time (UTC - 4 h)."

Just to add confusion, the Saskatchewan Time Act also says this:
	8(2)(a) in the Battle River Time Option Area:
		(i) during the summer period, is central standard time; and
		(ii) during the winter period, is mountain standard time; and
Yes; in this case the Time Act does refer to a change of time zones, however this for an area that does change its clocks twice a year!

-chris