[tz] CST timezone that does not account for DST

Brian Inglis Brian.Inglis at systematicsw.ab.ca
Fri Jul 31 00:24:15 UTC 2015

On 2015-07-30 15:11, Chris Walton wrote:
>> On Thu, Jul 30, 2015, at 14:21, Brian Inglis wrote:
>>> In Canada, areas that do not change their GMT offset do change their
>>> time legally at the same time as the rest of North America, from CST
>>> to MDT or MST to PDT, etc. i.e. they observe the daylight saving time
>>> of the zone to the west. ;^>
>>
>> Do you have a citation for this? It certainly doesn't seem to actually be true of the
>> current implementation in tzdata.
>>
>> I live in Indiana and people (before DST was adopted) would often _talk_ about
>> being on central time or "chicago time" for half the year, but it wasn't actually
>> true in any official sense.
>
> Brian,
> Canadians living in one the areas where the clocks do not change often "believe" that they are switching time zones twice a year.  I think I have posted comments about this in the past.
> However, the legislation (where it exists) says nothing about changing time zones in these areas.
> e.g. #1 from the Saskatchewan Time Act:
> 	"Time in eastern Saskatchewan and northeastern Saskatchewan:
> 		6. Central standard time shall be used and observed throughout the year in
> 		eastern Saskatchewan and in northeastern Saskatchewan."
> e.g. #2 from the Quebec Time Act:
> 	"In the part of Québec east of the meridian of 63 degrees west longitude,
> 	the legal time is Atlantic Standard Time, which is four hours behind Coordinated
> 	Universal Time (UTC - 4 h)."
>
> Just to add confusion, the Saskatchewan Time Act also says this:
> 	8(2)(a) in the Battle River Time Option Area:
> 		(i) during the summer period, is central standard time; and
> 		(ii) during the winter period, is mountain standard time; and
> Yes; in this case the Time Act does refer to a change of time zones, however this for an area that does change its clocks twice a year!

I recalled some apparently legal expression, perhaps before 2007, which was
succinctly phrased, preserving a distinction between standard and daylight
time, while resulting in no change, perhaps for BC Peace River, SK, NU
Southampton Island, or QC Minganie E/Golfe du St Laurent.
OTOH, as you say, it may not have been actual legislative wording I recalled.

--
Take care. Thanks, Brian Inglis