[tz] Uruguay out of DST

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Sat Jul 11 06:52:20 UTC 2015

On 07/10/2015 12:30 PM, Deborah Goldsmith wrote:
> I would love to be able to turn a tz release around in a week. That is not currently possible.

It is currently possible to do it in far less time than a week, for
other operating systems.  For example, the 2014c release was turned
around in about two hours by Debian, and in about three hours by Ubuntu;
see <http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/tz/2014-May/020907.html>. This wasn't
a complete new OS release: it was merely a patch, but that's good enough
to solve the problem.

Two hours is pretty fast, and we can't expect redistributors to be that
fast every time; even Debian doesn't do that.  But it should be
eminently doable to release an automatically-installable patch within a
week.  A three-month delay is waaayyy too long.